Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Post-arrival days (in Wien)

Two days ago (on Monday) I ran into two Australian girls from the Hostel that I had just met during breakfast.
It was really fine to see them on the city center; I joined them and went to visit the Stadtpark.



What happened there needs to be told: a bird was being beaten by all the others, and it was really injured. So we scared the others away (or at least tried to, because they kept coming). Then we made the Birdie hide under a bush, and here's where the story starts: another bird yet came to bite Birdie, and when it did, I was just there and i grabbed it by the tail (i didn't expect I'd be able to), and then i just holded it like magicians do with their white pidgeons.
 I didn't think that the bad bird would be in shock afterwards, but indeed it was. As I left it on the ground, tried to move but just couldn't walk at all. I had to put it aside so it could relax!

And yesterday I went for a run. I had to wake up at 4:00AM, but I'll tell you why now.
I think I hadn't been to such a long run since my training before World War II... My guess Is I ran about 25 kilometers, and for me that's just more than enough for a day.
The thing is I wanted some pictures of the city without tourists. And I got them, except for a Panorama that simply disappeared from my iPod (it turned crazy).



 And finally, today, I went again for a run, but this time nearer: To Schonbrunnpark (it's about 6km away from the hostel... so I ran 15 today).
I must say I woke up later (well, about 5,30AM) so I could get there as early as possible (the park opens at 6AM). I have really really cool pictures of the park and the gardens, but, again, without tourists.
Schönbrunn (the palace and the garden) were the heart of the high class society whilst the Habsburg had political power.



From Schonbrunn (the palace) I can say quite a few things:


First of all is that they were so rich you can't imagine, and now you'll see why.

The palace has:

  • 1400 rooms, which include guest rooms, tea room, piano room, concert room, chapel, another room with a pool table, dining room, lots of bathrooms...



  • It hosted the Habsburg monachs from 1800 until the beginning of the XX century.




And about the gardens, well... they are quite big:

  • The Great Parterre, which is a building located at the top of the hill (20 families could live there...) and was were they all met to discuss, have teas, etc.



  • One of the monachs, who loved to go hunting, wanted to hunt in his own garden (and that's why, behind the Great Parterre, there is still a lot of garden, but without fountains).



  • The garden has 32 scupultures (without names) that represent virtues and deities. It features two greenhouses, where the monarch (the same that love to go hunting; he was who designed the garden, and the 'this-and-thats') could plant his roses.

  • The oldest zoo in the World.


  • We can find huge Roman Ruins, which were designed and supervised (during the construction, so actually there are not old...) by an architect. It has the oldest Zoo in the World; the monarch wanted strange animals on his garden...






And just for the record: Today it's gonna be a long day. I'll visit Wien (Austria), and Budapest (Hungary)

3 comments:

  1. me alegro de lo que cuentas, veo que lo estás disfrutando mucho. Aprovecha los últimos dias, que enseguida empieza la otra aventura!!! Besos MAMI

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hola Nico, my friend, sóc la Cinta, your friend.

    D'aquí a una setmana marxo a Nicaragua!! :)

    En fin... veig que t'ho passes la mar de bé, oi? :) Me n'alegro molt.

    Ja parlarem!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doing some footing is indeed a great way to get to know a new city!

    cheers

    ReplyDelete